Friday, March 16, 2012

Setting cell phone ground rules

When parents purchase a cell phone for their child, one of the first things that a parent needs to do to help ensure the safety of their child is to sit down with their child and go over the rules and responsibilities of having a cell phone. Many parents today have a “Cell Phone Contract with their Tween”. You don’t know where to begin, here is a good starting point. You can modify the contract where needed to fit your family rules. Make sure both you and your child understand the contract and sign the contract.
  • I will not send threatening or mean texts to others.
  • I will not text or place phone calls after a certain time(this time can be decided by the parents)
  • I will keep my phone charged at all times.
  • I will not bring my cell phone to the family dinner table.
  • I am responsible for knowing where my phone is at all times and keeping it in good condition.
  • I understand my cell phone can be taken away if I do not listen to my parents, keep my grades up (parents can add additional rules here)
  • I will obey the cell phone rules of my school
  • I promise I will tell my parents if I receive an unsolicited or alarming call or text message from someone I don’t know.
  • I will alert my parents if I receive a threatening or bullying call or message
  • I will not use my cell phone to bully anyone.
  • I will not send embarrassing photos of my family or friends to anyone on my cell phone.
  • I will not take inappropriate pictures of myself or anyone on my cell phone.
  • I understand a cell phone can help me in emergency situation but I still need to use good common sense and judgment to keep me out of such situations.
  • I understand having a cell phone is a privilege and the cell phone can be revoked at any time if I did not abide by this contract.

No comments:

Post a Comment